Becoming more active can be challenging. Planning and goal setting can help. Make these goals things that are important to you. Goals can be short term or longer term. Longer term goals may need to be broken down into smaller steps to make them manageable. You wouldn’t expect to be fit for a marathon in 1 week! One example is:
I would like to be able to walk for 30 minutes every day in 1 months time
This could be broken down in stages starting with:
- I would like to be able to walk for 10 minutes every other day in 1 weeks time.
- Once this is achieved you can update your goal to work towards your longer term target.
- Review your goals regularly and update them as you achieve them.
Try to make your goals SMART:
- Please spend a few minutes thinking about five areas of your life that you would like to see yourself develop . These areas may be different for everybody and it can be helpful to focus on what is important to you as an individual.
- Examples of things which you may like to include are listed below for ideas; though please do feel free to use your own, but here are some examples
- Sleep ☼ Exercise ☼ Mobility ☼ Social Life ☼ Confidence ☼ Sense of control ☼ Knowing your abilities ☼ Being assertive ☼ Feeling relaxed
- After you have identified the 5 areas you would like to develop, write each one separately in the SMART goals & I-gro star section.
- Use these 5 goals to input more briefly into the i-gro star e.g. Goal one: Walking